Ancient Pellana

Pellana has been inhabited since the Early Helladic period and has played an important historical role since the Mycenaean era as the development of ancient Pellana was following the development of Sparta.
In ancient times the strategic position of the region resulted in its fortification by the Spartans. The traveler Pausanias in “Lakonika” mentions the walls, the sanctuary of Asclepius and the spring of Pellanida . At a distance of 1 km north of the village, in the place "Spilies", a Mycenaean cemetery with carved vaulted tombs was discovered.
The largest tomb, which is considered to be royal, was built in the early Mycenaean years (around 1500 BC) and has a dome of 10 meters in diameter. On the hill "Paleokastro", lies the Acropolis of Pellana, where the excavations brought to light relics of habitation of the early Helladic years (about 2,500 BC). On the south side of the hill there are parts of a settlement dating to Mycenaean and Hellenistic times, from where a paved road leads to an important building at the top of the Acropolis, which was probably the Mycenaean palace of the area. According to the excavator Theodoros Spyropoulos, an archaeologist, this acropolis was the Homeric Lacedaemon, where Menelaus and the Beautiful Helen built their palace. The archeological site can be visited after communicating with the Ephorate of Antiquities.